[scribus] Tutorial

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Jul 22 22:22:21 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 22 July 2008 10:00:32 am Joop wrote:
> John Culleton schreef:
> > There are also videos that are helpful at the very beginning:
> >
> > http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_Video_Tutorials
>
> Thanks for the information.
>
> I want to make an A4 sheet on a bigger sheet (some call it A4+:
> 23x32 cm, I don't see in the papersize list) with images that run
> over the edge of the paper. But ofcourse that is not the papersize
> that I can use in my own printer. And I want print the documents in
> a local printshop.
>
> So I need small cutting lines (crosses) in borders outside the A4.
> Is there anywhere a lesson about this? I could not find it.
>
> I also want to make some photocards of exact A6 size with no white
> borders, also printed on the same A4+ paper. So there must be more
> cutting lines in the borders and the images must be printed a
> little bigger than A6.
>
> I don't see anything about images running off the page etc.
>
> I don't know all the technical vocabulary for these, since I am
> only an amateur, but I hope you understand what I want.
>
> Joop

If you need extra space beyond the actual finished page size this is
often called bleed. I size the document at the larger size. For
example 6 x 9 inches becomes 6.25 x 9.25 inches. There is a .125 inch
bleed area on all four sides. I use margins and guides to keep my
text and images within bounds if necessary. But the background color
covers all the big image.

The other things  you are asking for are called crop marks, and
although they are built in to Quark, TeX etc. I don't think they are
in Scribus. But I cobbled some up using guides to help in placement
and the line facility to draw the little marks.

In the Context version of TeX your task is very simple. If necessary
you define one or two papersizes. You specify these sizes and the
marks thus:

\definepapersize[bok][width=6.0in,height=9.0in]
\setuppapersize[bok][letter]

And then to get the marks,
\setuplayout[marking=on,...] %(Bunch of additional parameters.)

 The A sizes are predefined but you can define any unusual size you
need.

Maybe crop marks could be a feature request for 4.0 :<)

--
John Culleton