[scribus] Tutorial

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Jul 22 19:43:27 CEST 2008

Joop wrote:
> John Culleton schreef:
>> There are also videos that are helpful at the very beginning:
>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_Video_Tutorials
>>
> Thanks for the information.
>
> I want to make an A4 sheet on a bigger sheet (some call it A4+: 23x32
> cm, I don't see in the papersize list) with images that run over the
> edge of the paper. But ofcourse that is not the papersize that I can
> use in my own printer. And I want print the documents in a local
> printshop.
>
> So I need small cutting lines (crosses) in borders outside the A4. Is
> there anywhere a lesson about this? I could not find it.
>
> I also want to make some photocards of exact A6 size with no white
> borders, also printed on the same A4+ paper. So there must be more
> cutting lines in the borders and the images must be printed a little
> bigger than A6.
>
> I don't see anything about images running off the page etc.
>
> I don't know all the technical vocabulary for these, since I am only
> an amateur, but I hope you understand what I want.
You're asking about 'bleed". This has been integrated into 1.3.5+, but
in 1.3.3.x versions, there is a script called BleedandPrintsMarks.
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Bleed%2C_create_markers_and_export_a_document_to_pdf

If you go to the bottom of this wiki page, you will find an updated
version (the one that is now incorporated into 1.3.3.x), and some
instructions.

The main point is that you complete your layout using your final trimmed
size, with any objects that need to go all the way to the edge extending
past it to whatever degree you need (there are standard amounts of bleed).
*After* you complete your layout, save it as a backup, then run the
Script, which will create a new page size and put your work on it
properly, with various other markers in the bleed margin.
It's also good to check with your printer to see what they require. Some
will not care about marks for cutting.

Greg