[scribus] DPI and PDF question

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Sun Jul 20 18:49:41 CEST 2008

Tino Schwarze wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 08:36:04PM +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> I need to produce two versions of the same newsletter.
>> The first will be to send to our local printing house as a PDF with the
>> graphics at 300 dpi.
>> The second version is for sending via email.
>>
>> Am I right in thinking that prior to saving the second version as a pdf, I
>> can reduce the overall resolution to, say 72 dpi? Will my graphics stay the
>> same physical size in the layout?
>
> Yes. You may as well use the appropiate option in the PDF Export dialog
> (downsample images to xxx dpi)
>
> Note that Scribus PDFs are optimized for printing, not for size. I got
> nice small files, by
> - embedding all fonts, not sepcifying any downsampling in scribus
> - running the resulting PDF through pdftops (from xpdf), then through
>   ghostscript with appropiate settings
>
> The command line for Linux looks like this (all in one line):
> pdftops -level3 -paper match "$infile" - | gsc -q -dSAFER -dBATCH
> -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dPDFSETTINGS=/ebook -dAutoRotatePages=/None
> -dEmbedAllFonts=true -dSubsetFonts=true -sOutputFile="$outfile"
> -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -c .setpdfwrite -
>
> By using the /ebook PDF setting, Ghostscript will downsample images and
> the PDF get's real small.
>
> HTH,
>
> Tino.

How do I actually use the script?
I cd'd into the dir where the pdf is and executed your script and got this error message:

nigel at laptop:~/Hamaayan/Example$  "$infile" - | gsc -q -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE
-sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dPDFSETTINGS=/ebook -dAutoRotatePages=/None -dEmbedAllFonts=true
-dSubsetFonts=true -sOutputFile="$outfile" -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -c .setpdfwrite -
*** WARNING -- Unknown or improperly placed option: "q"
*** WARNING -- Unknown or improperly placed option: "dSAFER"
*** WARNING -- Unknown or improperly placed option: "dBATCH"
*** WARNING -- Unknown or improperly placed option: "dNOPAUSE"
*** WARNING -- Unknown or improperly placed option: "sDEVICE=pdfwrite"
*** WARNING -- Unknown or improperly placed option: "dPDFSETTINGS=/ebook"
*** WARNING -- Unknown or improperly placed option: "dAutoRotatePages=/None"
*** WARNING -- Unknown or improperly placed option: "dEmbedAllFonts=true"
*** WARNING -- Unknown or improperly placed option: "dSubsetFonts=true"
*** WARNING -- Unknown or improperly placed option: "sOutputFile="
*** WARNING -- Unknown or improperly placed option: "dCompatibilityLevel=1.4"
*** WARNING -- Unknown or improperly placed option: "c"
*** ERROR -- Can't find file "/home/nigel/Hamaayan/Example/.setpdfwrite"
bash: : command not found
nigel at laptop:~/Hamaayan/Example$

Blessings,

Nigel