[scribus] DPI and PDF question

Tino Schwarze scribus.lists at tisc.de
Sat Jul 19 20:16:38 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 08:36:04PM +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I need to produce two versions of the same newsletter.
> The first will be to send to our local printing house as a PDF with the
> graphics at 300 dpi.
> The second version is for sending via email.
>
> Am I right in thinking that prior to saving the second version as a pdf, I
> can reduce the overall resolution to, say 72 dpi? Will my graphics stay the
> same physical size in the layout?

Yes. You may as well use the appropiate option in the PDF Export dialog
(downsample images to xxx dpi)

Note that Scribus PDFs are optimized for printing, not for size. I got
nice small files, by
- embedding all fonts, not sepcifying any downsampling in scribus
- running the resulting PDF through pdftops (from xpdf), then through
  ghostscript with appropiate settings

The command line for Linux looks like this (all in one line):
pdftops -level3 -paper match "$infile" - | gsc -q -dSAFER -dBATCH
-dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dPDFSETTINGS=/ebook -dAutoRotatePages=/None
-dEmbedAllFonts=true -dSubsetFonts=true -sOutputFile="$outfile"
-dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -c .setpdfwrite -

By using the /ebook PDF setting, Ghostscript will downsample images and
the PDF get's real small.

HTH,

Tino.

www.craniosacralzentrum.de