[scribus] Pages

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins at mardigrafe.com
Sat Jul 19 14:36:51 CEST 2008

Nigel Ridley a écrit :
> Roger wrote:
>> Did you try adding pages?
>>
>> 1 page gives you one page across and n pages down
>> 2 fold gives you 2 pages across by n pages down
>> 3 fold 3 across x n down which is good for a 3 fold A4 brochure if you
>> set the
>> correct page size.
>> 4 fold 4 pages across -- I use 4 fold for doing my newsletter on quasi
>> A3 sheet
>>  because it allows me to have front and back of an A3 'on one line' by
>> n lines down
>> (n = number of lines of pages)
>> Roger

> Hi Roger,
>
> Could you explain a bit more about the steps needed to create a 3 fold
> brochure to be printed on A4?
> Would I have to calculate the 3, or rather 6, 'page' sizes to print on
> both sides of A4? Does the '3 Fold' option allow for a 3mm shorter
> right-hand page to allow for folding it inside the others (so that it
> won't bulge)?
>
> Is it not easier to use a 'Double sided' A4 size document and calculate
> where the guides ought to go? Or is a case of "many ways to accomplish
> the same thing"? :-)

Precisely, yes.

Then, make a physical dummy with an A4 sheet and fold it as you wish.
Depending on how you fold, you will see that the panels won’t fall in
the same order on the flat sheet. Z-fold and C fold will end up with a
different "front page-back page" sequence. Don’t forget to leave room in
the margins for both sides of the fold and also keep in mind that in a
C-fold all panels are not equal. The panel folded towards the interior
will be shorter by about 1/8 inch to allow a nice clean fold on the
other two.

Once you are done with your guides and empty frames, keep a copy of this
"template" to make further documents. There is not even a need to "save
as template". Just "save as" and name it "Z-fold base", etc.

The 3 and 4 fold options will yield separate pages and again, unless you
know what you are doing, it is very unlikely that you are going to need
those layout. Some people find it useful. I don’t. I find this
completely misleading, especially for non-professionnals. When Scribus
will have a "print spread" option, then it will be 100% useful.
Otherwise, this feature is to be taken with care.

HTH

Louis