[Scribus] On usability

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Wed Jan 30 15:22:10 CET 2008

Louis Desjardins wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Since this discussion on usability and what should or not be a priority
> and the idea of a moratorium, I wonder whether it'd be a good idea to
> list the "show stopper" and ask people to explain why they think some
> missing feature or not as efficient as they want is a real "show stopper"?
>
> Could this lead to a better sense of why some users are kind of
> reluctant using Scribus more extensively? Could it help those users find
> the proper workarounds if they exist, and at the same time give the
> developers hints on what is "madly" missing (if I may say it like
> that!), and what is not.
>
> Any ideas on this idea? :)

One thing we already have is this:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Discussion:_Scribus_UI/usability_improvements
perhaps a bit outdated, but it is one place to request and discuss
improvements outside of the feature request method.

What is needed is not just any feedback, but well-thought out and
articulate comments, along with the rationale for these requests. It
also has the advantage as opposed to the mailing list of being less of a
moving target, so that these things can be found easily.

If some think that getting a wiki account serves as a "barrier", I would
suggest that more realistically it is a minor test (since wiki accounts
are quite easily obtained) of the users' desire to truly help Scribus
and not just snipe from the sidelines.

Greg