[Scribus] Memory problems when document contains many large pictures

Stefan Forster ste.forster
Sat Jan 12 11:28:39 CET 2008

Owen wrote:  If it is a problem, why not untick 'Image visible' ?

It does not change load time or memory consumption ...

-----
2008/1/12, John Beardmore <John at t4sltd.co.uk>:

> I don't know how images are stored internally.  We use lots of images
> from 3 and 5 megapixel cameras, but I am using a 1.8 GHz P4 laptop with
> 2 gig of RAM, documents are typically 30 pages, with an average of one
> or two images per page.  Images are .jpg, either direct from the camera,
> or sometimes messed with in Gimp.
>
> Are you really running out of memory ?  Do you have a limit on the swap
> file size ?  Is it possible that you have some underlying hardware
> problem that only manifests when you use a lot of VM ?  I seldom see
> Scribus use more than 300 meg which doesn't seem to bother this system
> at all.

With 2GB of memory, you will experience the problems when you have more than
about 300 images.
When your camera would have 20 Megapixel you would already have problems.

I only have 500MB memory + 3GB swap space on a linux laptop.
I also can work with documents up to about 30 pages (16 pages already take
12 minutes to load!).
But in the end my picture-book should have 500 images and 160 pages.
So I had to break it up and concat the different PDF's (with Adobe Acrobat).
It will probably not be possible to produce this even on your machine - at
least not with "professional" speed.

Stefan