[Scribus] Memory problems when document contains many large pictures

John Beardmore John
Sat Jan 12 01:55:10 CET 2008

Stefan Forster wrote:

> My experience shows that scribus shouldn't be used for many large
> pictures. Opening a file can take hours, often ended by a crash.

That's not been my experience.  What spec machine are you using ?

> Observing the memory consumption gives hints to the underlying problem:
> - during load all computer memory and also the swap partition is filled
> - probably this is used to store all pictures in bitmap format

I don't know how images are stored internally.  We use lots of images
from 3 and 5 megapixel cameras, but I am using a 1.8 GHz P4 laptop with
2 gig of RAM, documents are typically 30 pages, with an average of one
or two images per page.  Images are .jpg, either direct from the camera,
or sometimes messed with in Gimp.

Are you really running out of memory ?  Do you have a limit on the swap
file size ?  Is it possible that you have some underlying hardware
problem that only manifests when you use a lot of VM ?  I seldom see
Scribus use more than 300 meg which doesn't seem to bother this system
at all.

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme Registered Assessor
P:0845 4561332  F:0870 0522417  M:07785 563116  Skype:t4sustainability