[Scribus] Many Versions = 2

avox avox
Fri Jan 4 08:41:07 CET 2008

Hedley Finger wrote:

> Christoph:
>
> At Tuesday, 1/01/2008, 09:47 AM;, you wrote:
>>no one's working on 4 versions of Scribus. 1.3.3.x is the stable series
and
>>will receive bugfixes until a new stable version is out. 1.3.4 is
available,
>>but work continues in the 1.3.5 development tree.
>
> I know that various OS projects use different versioning conventions,
> e.g. odd numbers are stable releases and even numbers are development
> releases.  The above quote is a little mind-boggling. V. 1.3.39 is
> being bug-fixed (=patched, maintained) and is the stable release.  V.
> 1.3.5 is being developed.  So what is the status of 1.3.4?  A
> dead-end branch, stable, a big mistake, a dev version or what?  I
> think this question is what lies behind the remark "Too many releases".

We also use the even/odd versioning scheme, so

1.2.x - stable
1.3.x - development
1.4.x - stable
1.5.x - development

Unfortunately, when developing version 1.3.3, we realized that
a) most users used the latest development release (1.3.2 or 1.3.3) instead
of 1.2
b) we needed to break some things really badly in the next development
release (1.3.4)

So we just declared 1.3.3.x as the latest stable version (that's why I also
call it a stabilized
development version) and have been releasing minor stable version 1.3.3.x
ever since.

Then we went on and broke lots of stuff in the 1.3.4 development version.
Still, some users use that version...

After that, we ported Scribus from Qt3 to Qt4, that took a long time and we
had to rewrite lots of code.
During that time we also fixed a lot of the bugs present in 1.3.4, and
accepted additional contributions
(two GSoC projects: LaTeX frames and imposition, aspell plugin). So we hope
that, when it's released,
1.3.5 will be a better 1.3.4 - but still a development version.

I think we'll also rework our roadmap: lot's of the stuff is going to be
moved to 1.5.x so we can release
a stable 1.4 earlier. Missing stuff before 1.4 is mainly fileformat changes
and internal object model.

My guess is we'll see 1.3.6, 1.3.7 and 1.3.8 and then 1.4.

/Andreas