[Scribus] Comment about object tag names and xml file format

Timothy Boyden tboyden
Wed Feb 27 21:42:24 CET 2008

I'll take a shot at your requirements with some Google search results.
I'm not saying it's easy or that it wouldn't be a lot of work, but it is
possible:

- Multiple pages of different sizes etc
	* Handled by SVG page sets:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/multipage.html
- Objects spanning across pages
	* Handled by defining a graphic element in the global scope of a
page set
	* Could also be possibly implemented as a flowRegion element:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/flow.html
- Automatic text flow and linked frames
	* Handled by a flowRegion element
- Columns
	* Could be implemented as multiple column shaped flowRegions
- Arbitrary shaped text areas
	* Not quite sure what you mean by this, but text can be applied
to any shape path: http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/text.html#TextPathElement
- Separate text flow outline from object outline/clipping path
	* I would need an visual example of this to understand the
concept, but sounds like a combination of a textpath and flow region
element
- Layer blending modes
	* This should be handled by the SVG Filters spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGFilterPrimer12/
- manual kerning, pair kerning, etc
	* Kern elements, part of the font spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/fonts.html#KernElements
- All the other text positioning and styling features
	* Text spec reference: http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/text.html
- Arbitrary referenced/embedded objects (PDF, etc)
 	* Handled by the xlink attribute of an image (or other object
type) element: http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/linking.html
		Scribus 1.3.5 uses this currently to embed a PNG
formatted image of the document in an exported SVG file.