[Scribus] Problem knowing how to print a 3 fold leaflet

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Sun Feb 24 16:06:29 CET 2008

2008/2/24, Peter Nermander <peter.nermander at abc.se>:

> >> So, if someone wants you to print a book, you want them to bring you a
> >> file containing complete signatures? Not a file with single pages in
> >> consecutive order?
>

> > I hope this is not a serious question! :-)
>

> Yes it is, because you seem to be only looking at ONE way of using a
> 3-fold layout (for a simple 3-fold broschure).
>
> But a 3-fold layout can also be used for example in a user manual (where
> you fold out a flap showing for example a picture of the control panel) or
> in a tourist guide (where you fold out maps that are larger than a page).

The examples you give are larger pages, binded into a publication made of
smaller pages. In these cases, it would also be wrong to hand those larger
pages in smaller parts, or to consider the various panels as distinct
"pages". A map is a case in itself, considering the various ways of folding
it ? we can look at it as a large poster, folded.

Again, this is layout and not imposition. It is not at prepress stage that
we put together the portions of a page. This is clearly a task that must be
handled upstream.

I don't say that the feature is wrong per se. I say it is incomplete and it
misleads people by making them believe they can use it and then output PDFs
as separate pages while these are not, actually. The full spread they are
putting together is in fact the real page here, not its components.

I do say that it is a welcome feature to layout an array of jobs made of
various panels that could be associated with pages, thus easier to look at
and to set as separate pieces. Another example is the cover of a book,
including the spine and the back cover. On a press, these 3 parts are
considered as 1 single piece and it is very unlikely that they will be
handed to the printer in 3 different "pages". If they are, this will in fact
give extra work at the wrong stage of the workflow.

The big missing part in that feature is that Scribus doesn't allow yet to
print spreads. Unless you have the means to put those elements together
dowstream, I can only suggest not to use it.

HTH

Louis

/Peter