[Scribus] Use question: multiple versions

John Culleton john
Fri Feb 22 22:56:46 CET 2008

On Thursday 14 February 2008 04:00:25 pm Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
> Hi - I believe that I am so busy getting a newsletter I edit out that I
> am not spending the time to learn the tool (Scribus) properly.  Can
> anyone suggest the easy way to do the following tasK, semi-automagically?
>
> I make a newsletter that is usually 20 or 24 pages, 8.5 x 11, but
> printed on 11 x 17, saddle stitched (stapled) and folded.  It is also
> released in .pdf format.
>
> Currently, I do the master by laying out the single sheet format, which
> can be printed to .pdf for the electronic version.  Then I create a
> Ledger size document, and copy the laid-out pages in the appropriate
> order to make the printing master.
>
> 1:  I know how to do master pages for page numbers in the single sheet
> version.  Is it possible to do them in the large version?  The page
> numbers follow a different sequence when laid out for printing.  (The
> first sheet would have 20, 1, 2, 19, then the second would have 18, 2,
> 3, 17, etc...)
>
> 2:  Is there an easier way to arrange the pages than either copying the
> individual pages from one document to another, or (ick!) printing .pdf's
> and importing them?
>
> I have looked a bit, but don't find the answer I want readily.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

I do exactly what you do but in plain TeX. After I arrive at a PostScript file
I run these two Linux scripts, relying in turn on other common PostScript
tools. Note that $1 is a placeholder for the main part of the file name,
e.g.,  for foo.ps I simply say script1a foo. Unfortunately Scribus does not
save directly to ps format but the utility pdf2ps could be used.

script1a
psbook $1.ps $1b.ps
echo 'psnup'
psnup -2 -ptabloid -Pletter $1b.ps $1p.ps
echo 'psselect'
psselect -o   $1p.ps $1o.ps
psselect -e -r  $1p.ps $1e.ps
script1b

lpr $1o.ps
echo 'switch paper'
echo 'don`t flip'
read x
lpr $1e.ps
#rm $1p.ps $1e.ps $1o.ps $1b.ps
Some of the tools mentioned are from psutils.
--
John Culleton