[Scribus] User-interface design [was" Thus is has been with Scribus."]

John Jason Jordan johnxj
Tue Feb 5 20:28:01 CET 2008

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 09:12:00 -0500
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> dijo:

> There is also the very handy F12, followed by 4-digit Unicode to insert
> whatever character you might use frequently yet not be present on your
> keyboard.

I used Scribus 1.3.3.9 on Gutsy x86_64. The normal system-wide way to
insert special characters in Linux is Ctrl-Shift-u, followed by the hex
code, then spacebar. This works just about everywhere, except in
Scribus, where it is F12.

Someone here once told me the reason for making it F12 is because
Scribus is cross-platform. However, that doesn't make sense to me.
Windows and MacOS have system-wide insert special character shortcuts
similar to Linux - Alt+decimal with numeric keypad on Windows and
Alt-hex on Mac except that on Mac you have to pad the hex with leading
zeroes to make it four characters.

OpenOffice.org is also cross-platform and it uses the input shortcuts
of the operating system instead of remapping to a special key. I have
never understood why I have to try to remember that it is F12 in
Scribus.