[Scribus] [Fwd: [Techtalk] openoffice and scribus]

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Mon Feb 4 17:01:26 CET 2008

Chantal Rosmuller a ?crit :
>> hard to be sure where to reply...
>> I'll put a response here in case list readers are interested.
>>
>>  From the message it's a little unclear to what degree importation is
>> desired. Scribus does have the ability to import Writer files and even
>> apply styles, in case that is enough.
>> See this for more specifics:
>>
>> http://documentation.scribus.net/index.php/Working_With_Text#ODT_Import_Exa
>> mple
>>
>> Greg
>
> Hi Greg, I am the original poster of this question. Thanks for the link, this
> will not do however because in the example a whole file is imported. In our
> situation the office document has to be imported several times because the
> content can change, problem is however that the writers/translaters who work
> in the office document can also change the style/layout. That means that the
> layout person has to change this back in scribus every time.
>
> We are now exploring several possibilties, making it impossible for writers to
> mess up the layout using a template in openoffice is one, another is using
> something entirely different like a wiki for the writing and importing that
> into scribus.

> Still it would be nice if a feature was developed to resolve this, I cannot
> imagine that we are the only publishing organisation with this issue? I think
> in Indesign it is possible to link to parts of office documents and
> automatically update the indesign document if changes have been made in the
> office document (I could be wrong this is how someone explained it to me, I
> myself have never user Indesign or scribus, I am a sysadmin).

Hi,

You might be interested in contacting the people of Scenari ? winner of
a "Troph?e du libre" last year in France. The project is aimed at
dealing with such complex editing tasks as you describe. At the time
being, and as far as I know, the layout capabilities are based on
OpenOffice.org stylesheets and templates. But they have automated the
process as to leave the writers with the only responsibility of the
content. Lots more to discover here:

http://scenari-platform.org/projects/scenari/en/pres/co/

Also, although it hasn't gone too far yet, afaik, the idea of having
Scenari call-up Scribus for more complex layouts instead of limiting
itself to OO.o is in the air. As it seems, it is not a simple task, from
the programming point of view. But at least the first contacts have been
established a few months ago.

Cheers!

Louis