[scribus] How do you handle boxes for headlines?

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Wed Dec 17 08:37:36 CET 2008

Gregory Pittman schrieb:
> Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> just a question to the professionals who have to manage longer documents:
>>
>> When you have a lot of headlines with colored boxes under the letters,
>> how do you handle this in practice? I'm thinking of the style of a
>> language learning book with chapters and sub-chapters dividing the
>> page into several sections by a thick colored bar with the chapter's
>> headline on it, like this:
>>
>> |----------------
>> |2.1  Headline
>> |----------------
>>
>> I would need the same box being reproduced for each header. Do you
>> just copy/paste, or is there some more intimate trick for it? Do you
>> use a separate box/text, or would you use a single colored textbox for
>> it? And is it possible to make an anchor to the text to keep the box
>> fixed to its headline?
>>
>> This is my solution so far: I make two layers, on layer 1 I set the
>> text, and on layer 0 I set the boxes afterwards. With copy/paste I can
>> reproduce the same box sizes.
>>
>> What I cannot achieve is positioning the boxes exactly in relation to
>> the headlines so it looks like they really belong together on each
>> page again. And if the text changes, the boxes may be on a completely
>> wrong position.
>>
>> So, how do you handle this?
> The short answer is maybe not the way you would like, but here is a
> potential answer: inline "graphics".
>
> Check out this video by Tsoots:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_Video_Tutorials#Creating_bullet_lists
>

> in which you will see that there is a way to paste these little flower
> graphics into a text frame. While it might seem unrelated or unhelpful,
> you need to realize that this little flower could have been a small text
> frame with embellishments, maybe even a grouped object (haven't tried
> that extension yet). So what you can do is make your chapter heading in
> its own text frame, copy it (Ctrl+C), then paste it into your text
> frame, after which if you add or remove text from that frame, this
> inline graphic of sorts will keep its relative position.
>
> I hope I'm explaining this in a way you can understand...let me know if
> it isn't clear.
>
> Greg

Hi Greg,

that is brilliant! It runs quite well at a first glance, so thank you
for that idea.

But now I've found a second item I've got a question about: How can one
keep the text with a certain distance from its text box upper edge? You
know, if you include a distance from the paragraph, this applies on
paragraphs standing before, but not on the text box. The text will
always begin at the ultimate upper edge of the box.

Now, here I'll have to be able to place the text somewhat in the middle
of the box (vertically) to look nice.

Do you have any idea for this?

Rolf