[scribus] How do you handle boxes for headlines?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Dec 16 19:27:45 CET 2008

Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> just a question to the professionals who have to manage longer documents:
>
> When you have a lot of headlines with colored boxes under the letters,
> how do you handle this in practice? I'm thinking of the style of a
> language learning book with chapters and sub-chapters dividing the
> page into several sections by a thick colored bar with the chapter's
> headline on it, like this:
>
> |----------------
> |2.1  Headline
> |----------------
>
> I would need the same box being reproduced for each header. Do you
> just copy/paste, or is there some more intimate trick for it? Do you
> use a separate box/text, or would you use a single colored textbox for
> it? And is it possible to make an anchor to the text to keep the box
> fixed to its headline?
>
> This is my solution so far: I make two layers, on layer 1 I set the
> text, and on layer 0 I set the boxes afterwards. With copy/paste I can
> reproduce the same box sizes.
>
> What I cannot achieve is positioning the boxes exactly in relation to
> the headlines so it looks like they really belong together on each
> page again. And if the text changes, the boxes may be on a completely
> wrong position.
>
> So, how do you handle this?
The short answer is maybe not the way you would like, but here is a
potential answer: inline "graphics".

Check out this video by Tsoots:

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_Video_Tutorials#Creating_bullet_lists

in which you will see that there is a way to paste these little flower
graphics into a text frame. While it might seem unrelated or unhelpful,
you need to realize that this little flower could have been a small text
frame with embellishments, maybe even a grouped object (haven't tried
that extension yet). So what you can do is make your chapter heading in
its own text frame, copy it (Ctrl+C), then paste it into your text
frame, after which if you add or remove text from that frame, this
inline graphic of sorts will keep its relative position.

I hope I'm explaining this in a way you can understand...let me know if
it isn't clear.

Greg