[scribus] TOC from several files

avox avox at arcor.de
Sun Dec 14 13:33:29 CET 2008

John Culleton-3 wrote:

> For Scribus to be comparable to TeX for long books it needs to be
> able to justify a paragraph at a time, optionally

That's a nice-to-have but not mandatory. I think the justification algorithm
in 135 is good enough.

> use hanging punctuation, optionally use microtypography,

Late additions to TeX and already available in 135

 handle books of a thousand pages or more without subdividing the files,
provide for
> indexing, toc, automated footnoting,

True

> automatic placement of graphics, tables etc. on the current page or on the
> things work out,

That's something you control manually after TeX had it's try, so maybe not
so essential.

> allow the insertion of a paragraph with automatic repagination as needed
> and automatic adjustment of both the toc and the index,

Well, that's what you expect from automatic pagination and indexing. Or do
you mean that Scribus should insert new pages automatically? I'm still
looking for a specification where and with what master page that should
happen. I'm afraid that users might have quite different needs when it comes
to inserting new pages.

> provide a facility for putting out different page sizes and page orders
> with a simple switch from the same file,

Uh, like an A4 and an A5 version from the same file?? That's a design layout
no-no IMHO.

> draw bibliographic references from a bibliographic database, with
> automatic formatting and ordering of those entries depending on a bib
> style selection and etc.

That's only needed for scientific books.

> I said before almost anything can be done with almost any tool, as the
> man with the IBM 1100 proved.  But it is not sensible to use a tool
> ill suited for the purpose at hand.  I am in the process of writing
> an e-book on using Scribus for book cover design. Book cover design
> is a task for which Scribus is admirably suited.  But the e-book
> publisher insists that the book file size be held to less than two
> megabytes.  If it goes over that parameter I may have to redo it in
> TeX.  I can compress a pdf from Scribus but then I lose anchors etc.

The e-book publisher wants a PDF? Is that also the final e-book format
or are the pages reflowed? Would be interesting to see the specs.

> I am not knocking Scribus. I am putting in a lot of hours on learning
> it.  But all of us need to have more than one arrow in our quiver.

Sure. But Scribus will get there eventually.

/Andreas