[scribus] TOC from several files

alessandro rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sun Dec 14 10:17:10 CET 2008

hi john,

>  For Scribus to be comparable to TeX for long books it needs to be
> able to justify a paragraph at a time, optionally use hanging
> punctuation, optionally use microtypography,  handle books of a
> thousand pages or more without subdividing the files,  provide for
> indexing, toc, automated footnoting, automatic placement of graphics,
> tables etc. on the current page or on the next page depending on how
> things work out, allow the insertion of a paragraph with automatic
> repagination as needed and automatic adjustment of both the toc and
> the index, provide a facility for putting out different page sizes
> and page orders with a simple switch from the same file,  draw
> bibliographic references from a bibliographic database, with
> automatic formatting and ordering of those entries depending on a bib
> style selection and etc.

what you are listing here are some of the conditions under which scribus would be  T H E  P E R F E C T  tool for layouting every possible book.
(or, more exactly, you are writing that, to be comparable to TeX, scribus has to implement all the features TeX has.)

everybody else is trying to tell you, that scribus is already a good tool to layout some books.

but, with a little help from our friends, scribus may become the perfect tool each of us dreams of :-)

ciao
a.l.e