[scribus] Markup in text files...?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Dec 14 01:25:27 CET 2008

taliesin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've actually done some very useful work in Scribus so far, just from
> reading the documentation. But I seem to have missed how to do the
> following and could do with some help:
>
> How can I add styles mark-up to a text document so that when I import it
> into a text field, those styles are automatically used? If that's not
> clear, what I'm wanting to do is have a plain text file loadoftext.txt
> which has some sort of mark-up in it such that when I import it into a
> text field, parts of it have the appropriate style set. I guess I'm
> thinking in terms of things like TeX and HTML and looking for something
> equivalent in Scribus. This would be useful to me as I can easily blast
> through a long text document using regular expressions or search and
> replace to add markup for chapter headings, sub-headings, highlighted
> names, etc. But going through a long piece of text in the Story Editor,
> highlighting parts and changing their style would take too long to be
> practical.
>
> Is there any way of doing what I want? I thought about importing my text
> as HTML and then changing the styles accordingly, but I wanted to check
> I wasn't missing something obvious.

There are 2 relatively useful ways to go. One is to set up your styles
in openoffice.org, in which case Scribus will apply these on import of
the ODT file.

The second is to set up text filters. This is shown in one of the videos
on the wiki:

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_Video_Tutorials#Three_ways_to_apply_styles

the third part of this video is what you're interested in -- starts at 1
minute, 3 seconds into it.

Greg