[scribus] ANNOUNCEMENT: Scribus - The Official Manual is now available for sale!

avox avox at arcor.de
Sat Dec 6 19:29:58 CET 2008

Allen McBride wrote:

> I agree with Jurgen; the manual is probably great work, and I hope it
> makes money both for the authors and for Scribus.  But since this book
> is the "official manual," isn't it an integral part of the project?
> Can Scribus really be considered FOSS if its official documentation is
> closed?  If yes, great.  If not, it doesn't bother me, and I'm hardly
> involved in the project so I'd have little cause to complain if it
> did.  But I am curious.

Well, the book will make money for flesbooks and for Scribus only.
Christoph,
Greg and the other contributors worked for free. It was planned to make the
contract directly between flesbooks and the new not-for-profit Scribus
organisation.
Unfortunately that's still in the works, so currently Christoph as the main
author
is handling the Scribus side of the contract now.

As to why this is the "official" manual:
a) It says so in the title ;-)
b) Christoph is a member of the developer team
c) a lot of collaboration was provided by the Scribus community

The book will not affect the availability of the integrated online help or
our
wiki. Also it will not contain any information that's not availabe there or
in the
mailing list archives. But it has been a long standing request from users to
have a
manual in book form, and Greg and Christoph put a lot of work into
fulfilling that
wish (and even in time for Christmas! :-) )

/Andreas