[scribus] Speeding up Scribus WinXP

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Dec 3 01:38:01 CET 2008

Simone Ambrosini wrote:
> Hi, I'm using scribus to lay out our school magazine. I've noticed (now, and
> 2 years ago) that running scribus on WinXP is quite slow. I mean that when I
> have about 3 or 4 pages with text and images is usable, and then, when i
> load text in all the 16 pages scrolling, moving boxes, editing text, etc
> become very slow.
>
> I'm using an Athlon64 (3500+) with 2GB DDR and a ATi x800gto. I had the same
> problems 2 years ago with a Pentium4 1.8 (the eldest generation), and i gave
> the blame to the old CPU.
>
> Actually, if I use ArchLinux 64bit with KDE3.5 (or 4.1) it will improve
> scribus performance? I would try it, but I have not enough time to repair my
> archlinux, so i'm forced to winsows... :(, If you think that using linux
> will be more comfortable, i'll spend some time on it
>
> I'm sorry for the mistakes in english!! :) But after 5hours of school and 6
> hours of work on a slow scribus i'm quite tired!!

I don't think I would count on a switch to Linux making a big
difference. Probably the easiest thing you can do is to break this up
into 2 parts, make the PDFs, then combine the PDFs with an outside utility.

Are these huge images? Maybe they can be cropped or scaled to reduce
image overhead in screen updates.

Greg