[scribus] contoured text flow

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Aug 29 16:26:06 CEST 2008

RoseOtto wrote:

> 1. Is there a place that tells me what all the Node icons do?  When I
> hover my mouse nothing happens.  The Help button gives me nothing.

Shameless plug: This is something that is explained in great detail in
our upcoming Official Manual, hopefully available soon for purchase.
There is a certain amount of playing around that you will need to do in
editing shapes.
For Nodes, you can move them, add new ones, delete them. End nodes have
a single control point, all others have two. Control points can be moved
either independently or symmetrically at each node. That's about all
there is to them, and your experience using them is what you mostly need.
> 2. I just did a flier where I wanted the text to flow around the elbow
> and arm of a guy in a photo. I figured out how to get the contour
> points changed so that I can see a contour line where I wanted the
> text to go but couldn't make it flow to fit my line....it only flowed
> to the original square. I forced the effect by putting the image on a
> lower layer and putting next lines in at the image but one should not
> have to do that.
Here are the basics on Text on a Path:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Text_on_a_Path

One important thing to know is that you must convert your shape to a
Bezier curve for text on path to work. Afterward, you can both edit the
shape, and use Story Editor to edit the text.

Greg