[scribus] How to use color management?

"Sveinn í Felli (IMAP)" sveinki at nett.is
Fri Aug 29 12:02:59 CEST 2008

Hi again,

Philipp, do you have a scanner ?

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
>> Hi. Thanks for the pointer. However, I haven't read but the first
>> sentence of the tutorial and already I know it will not quite address
>> my questions.
>>
>> Typically, the images I use do not come from my camera. They come from
>> a commercial partner[1] that doesn't know squat about digital images.
>> I'd be interested in learning how images of high resolution but that
>> don't have any existing color profile attached can have a color
>> profile added so I can at least have some idea that what I see on
>> screen is close to what will be in print.

With .icc profiles for monitor, printer & scanner, some good
color calibration targets (digital and paper), plus a
friendly (colorprofiled) photolab next door, you can do a
decent aproximate profiling of your system. That is if your
eye is somewhat trained in distingushing fine hue
variations. Artistic education, decades of printing or
painting and such can be of help, along with a medical
certificate for not being colorblind :)

Its just heavy work of installing profiles, comparing your
own scans to professional ones, comparing printouts to your
screen, printing the same targets on multitude of printers
and at photolabs. All this done methodically, trial and
error, several times. Ask your artistic friends when you
don't see any difference anymore. And as Lars pointed out;
repeat the process regularly.

There are tons of material on the internet on how to do such
things, most recommend buying a spectrometer on eBay.

http://www.normankoren.com/	Making fine prints in your
digital darkroom

http://www.coloraid.de/ and http://www.targets.coloraid.de/

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Colors.html

if you read french
http://www.xwing.info/index.php?p=digikam

Then there is all the digikam related stuff, check the wiki
again.

Cheers
Sveinn í Felli