[scribus] 1.3.5 Windows spelling checker ?

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sun Aug 24 17:52:28 CEST 2008

> I've used various versions of Serif PagePlus, which is an
> excellent program that is in no way a kiddie DTP program. It can do
> color seps and create PDFs and--by the way--includes a spell
> checker. You could easily write the whole document in PagePlus.

Sorry for my nitpicking, but PagePlus has some serious drawbacks that prevent it from being used professionally:

1) It doesn't import EPS files correctly, only preview images, and only the preview image will be exported, so that the EPS import is quite useless. Given the importance of EPS in printing workflows, this means thumbs down.

2) It can export PDF/X-1 and X-1a. X-1 has never been used, as far as I know. X-1a is OK for North America, but in Europe, most printers ask for X-3 or even X-4 if they work with PDF/X standards.

3) The hyphenator didn't work in the latest version (X2).

4) It doesn't have colour management.

5) It can't export spot colours to PDF/PS files. They are always converted to CMYK.

So while I agree that it's not a "kiddie DTP program", it's certainly not ready for professional use.

Cheers

Christoph