[scribus] 1.3.5 Windows spelling checker ?

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Thu Aug 21 18:15:16 CEST 2008

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:41:26 -0400
"Jeffrey Silverman" <jeffrey.d.silverman at gmail.com> wrote:

> @John Beardmore:
>
> While I understand your perspective and some of your points, overall,
> you are coming across like this:
>
> (Actually, I'm sorry in advance, because you really don't come across
> so persnickity/snotty/immature at all, but I thought it would be
> funnier this way)
[...]

Hmm, I was going to stay out of this debate, as I am
by no stretch of the imagination an expert on page-
layout programs (I use TeX/LaTeX for documents, and
see no reason to change).

However, humorous as your message was, I am quite
non-plussed about the attitude that seems to come
across. My viewpoint is:
(a) The spell-checker plugin is already implemented.
    (While I did do the initial work, and would like
    to see it not go to waste, I really do not care
    one way or the other.)
(b) It is a *plugin*. People can choose to use it or
    not, and while I take the point about added work
    for core Scribus developers, and possible
    instability, the point about code-bloat seems
    rather weak.
(c) I also took Louis' point about how spell-checking
    modifications can change the flow of the text, but
    after pondering on this further, is the same thing
    not true in the case when someone decides at the
    last moment to replace a certain word, by a more
    mellifluous one, or to resize the font. Shall we
    disallow resizing, too?
(d) Finally, to me, open-source is all about giving
    people the choice. When it intrudes minimally on
    the normal application (plugin, use it at your own
    risk), I see no reason that Scribus developers
    should choose to mandate one mode of working over
    another.

Regards,
Gora