[scribus] 1.3.5 Windows spelling checker ?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 17:15:48 CEST 2008

2008/8/21 John Beardmore <John at t4sltd.co.uk>

> Peter Nermander wrote:
>
>> Isn't the stand-alone story editor (with a spelling checker and
>>> everything)
>>> currently called OpenOffice?
>>>

>  No, becuase OpenOffice Writer does not work in Scribus native format,
>> importing from OO passes a "translation".
>>

>> One other reason for the spellchecker should be done before the text ends
>> up on the canvas is the matter of character spacings (kerning and
>> similar). On the canvas people are usually working visually, changes to
>> the text are for visual appearance.
>>

> A questionable assumption I think.  I'm quite happy to pile the whole text
> into Scribus.
>

>  Or if the corrected spelling makes the word longer/shorter so lines wrap
>> differently?
>>

> If you change some text, doesn't Scribus dynamically re do all the
> paragraph layout, kerning etc ?

Things like stylesheets can be applied and re-applied at will. Manual
tweaking can disappear. It really depends on the corrections made and what
kind of manual tweaking was done. Kerning is more sensitive because it
occurs between pairs of letters. It's way different than applying
linespacing, for instance.

Louis