[scribus] 1.3.5 Windows spelling checker ?

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 16:46:09 CEST 2008

Gora Mohanty wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 01:34:19 +0100
> John Beardmore <John at T4sLtd.co.uk> wrote:

>> My understanding was that one had been implemented in 1.3.5 -
>> not the 'spell as you type' kind which is a shame, but at
>> least one which could be invoked within the story editor.
>
> I wrote the initial spell-checking plugin which works with
> aspell as the back-end.

My hero !

> I haven't touched it in a while, so
> not sure if it has been modified further.
>
> I will take a look at it again this weekend, including
> looking at the Windows port.

Huge thanks !

> By the way, the reason it
> cannot currently be "spell as you type" is because that
> would require some changes to the way text is processed
> in Scribus.

Yes. I think this was discussed before. For me at least that would be
great one day, but the plugin as is will be a great start.

>>> The idea is,
>> :)   Whose idea is ?
>>
>> I know software development isn't a democracy, but I think what you're
>> about to say certainly isn't my idea...
> [...]
>
> I hesitate to get into this debate, but if the spell-checker
> is implemented as a plugin, I think that it adds minimal
> code-bloat for people that do not want to use it, and I do
> not quite see why one would go out of one's way to bar the
> inclusion of a spell-checker plugin.

Agreed. I don't understand why people are so fervently against it.

It's as though I'd asked how to partition a Linux box !

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor