[scribus] 1.3.5 Windows spelling checker ?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 12:29:01 CEST 2008

2008/8/21 Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au>

> > Anyway - as I recall, this debate was done to death a while back, and a
> > checker was being implemented for which I'm truly grateful !
> >

> > So -  sorry to be contentious, but it really annoys me when people tell
> > me that a tool can only be used their way. Why assume the other options
> > should be so lightly dismissed ?
>

> It won't be dismissed, don't worry. I am one of the believers that Scribus
> needs an as-you-type and one-shot type spellchecker. I see it fits in the
> typical small type workflow even if not in the larger workflow. Excluding
> something because it might not fit to the large environment is wrong IMNSHO
> and for those types, we can disable a feature (or they can, they have the
> code!), or just not include a plugin etc.

I understand that. I didn't mean to ask that we dismiss the spell checker.
Sorry if that came across like that! I only know that if we want a
as-you-type-spell-check functionnality the first thing we need is to be able
to type! Currently, this "simple" task is not that easy (at least, in the
text frames). I understand so far that from the coder perspective, this is
one of the main challenges Scribus is facing now — rebuilding the text
engine, in order to allow easy text editing. So, so far, typing directly in
Scribus is difficult. I believe it's easier to achieve this task in another
program, such as Open Office. And I believe that such heavy manipulation of
text is better be done uptream too. And in the case of Scribus, the stream
is even stronger because typing in corrections is a not-so-easy task.

> So while there is no as-you-type spellchecker, it just means we need to
> change
> the text system to handle it, however that wont be tomorrow. That is a
> complicated process and we (the core team) are simply spending all time we
> can
> on getting 1.3.5 out the door.

Right.

Louis