[scribus] Story Editor thoughts

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Mon Aug 18 02:24:37 CEST 2008

I dont remember if I already posted this so here revised are my thoughts on the
Story editor.
My apologies if it's already been attended to.
------------======================------------------

I would like to make a proposal for revising and simplifying Text manipulation
processes in Scribus.

Single click in a text box the software should preempt that you wish to
manipulate the text box location and its contents. Brings up the navigation --
position-on-page tools.
Double Click in the text box you wish to manipulate - to brings up a
zoomed(200-300 percent)/zoomable version/image of the text box or a simple
borderless panel with the text displayed. Mouse wheel vertically scrollable.
Highlight a sentence or word in this panel and it zooms that selection, click
off the selection to revert back to the panel.

Editor panel has:
-- Same aspect ratio  as the text box. (eliminate the necessity to zoom the
whole page to get one text box or a bit of text).
-- Same fonts as the text box.
-- Same layout and design attributes but in edit mode
-- No font manipulation tools, only style placement tool as now.
-- Tab tools and ruler visible and operational.

A narrow Text modification menu containing all the manipulation tools as icons,
not words, from the story editor and <Properties><Text> appears beside the
editor panel --  Or in preference appears in the empty space at the bottom of
the Scribus window where the scale, page selection and Layers now display.

Encourage general text insertion as plain font, egs helvetica, verdana or BS
Charter unfomatted and spellchecked.

To place unformatted text in a text box, either drag and drop or have the text
file open, select/highlight  the portion of text and cut/paste <Ctrl C V>the
text to the text box. I sort of do this but it requires the Story Editor to be
open, adding an unnecessary level of complexity.

Perhaps the text box, image box, drawing tools etc  could be considered separate
entities. Where Scribus becomes another type of desktop on which borderless
windows (text or image boxes) are placed.
To do all this would require a rethink of DTP and the programming involved. I
hope I've explained this well enough.

Question
If I wanted to supply a png or jpeg image of a design proposal how would I
submit this for consideration.

Hope this helps
Roger