[scribus] [play at lindseyross.com: Resizing image]

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Aug 16 15:09:40 CEST 2008

dwain wrote:
> On 8/16/08, Oleksandr Moskalenko <malex at scribus.info> wrote:
>
>> Lindsey  sent a message using the contact form at
>>  http://www.scribus.net/?q=contact.
>>
>>  Hi, there.  I'm trying to import photographs into a brochure that I'm making.
>>   The actual size of the JPG I'm importing is very large, so I'd like to scale
>>  it down to a few square inches without distorting it.
>>

> look in preferences under tools, click the second icon and select
> scale to fit the box and keep aspect ratio.  this should solve your
> problem, except that the image will still be however many mb it is.
>
> when you scale the image in gimp, you may have to reset the
> resolution.  if you scanned the image it would be best if you
> rescanned the image to the size you need.  that way you retain your
> resolution, keep the file size low and have a sharp image.
> cheers,

OTOH, don't let the DPI get too low. You want at least 300dpi for good
quality work. If you have an image of several MB, it's good to scale it
a bit. Then use Properties > Image > Scale to Frame Size to have it fit
the frame you're using. Properties > Image will also show you your DPI
after scaling.

Greg