[scribus] Printing Books

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Sat Aug 16 01:50:48 CEST 2008

Mr Beast
<snip>
I operate a home-based book publishing business which earns me a
comfortable living with only a few hours a day of work. I print
everything on laser. I even print my covers on laser. I have a
laminator for the covers, and two binding machines. I don't produce my
own paper and toner, but everything else is done in-house (literally).

I print the guts of the books (up to 550 pages) on ancient Laserjet
8000s. My cost per page is about 1/4 of one cent for toner. Repairs and
replacements for the printers are negligible, as everything is
available on eBay for a song.

The last I checked industry statistics, the crossover point for cost
between laser and press is 8,000 copies for black and white and 2,000
copies for color. I typically print 200 copies of a book at a time. I
print from PDFs.
</snip>

I've not found imposing to be strenuous, I do a newsletter, 10-20 pages couple
of hundred copies per issue and don't use a commercial printer but am definitely
interested in printing myself if the process and costs are right.
As for imposing, I simply lay out the whole document in the order to be printed
for example: Pages 8,7,1,2 ,3,4,5,6
There's a mind set in doing it this way because text boxes don't naturally
follow on but once I got used to it, no probs.

Would you care to please elaborate on what books you print, and subject matter.
Do you write the books and then assemble and print or are there other writers
involved.
Would you be able to give us a bit of a run down on how you go about the process
from writer to sales.
Many thanks
Roger