[scribus] Mentioning PageMaker....

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Fri Aug 15 15:13:15 CEST 2008

I might be taking this a little personal because I'm using PM6 and I've been the one mentioning it most. But I'm not intending to take it personally and this response shouldn't be either!

PM6 (and even earlier versions) is more of a standard (at least to me) than anything else. Apparently others here are at least familiar with it, including you, so comparing Scribus to PM seems to be logical. I don't recall it being suggested as a current solution (unless you already have it and are using it...).

I've used other DTP programs. I mention PM6 only because I am using it, and it's as "up to date" as far as functionality as any newer program (it might not work well in Vista, I don't know, I use XP) as far as I can tell. I've tried InDesign and even newer PageMaker versions (PM7 specifically, never tried 6.5), but those programs go off a a different tangent, trying to be more of a complete graphics package than a page layout program IMHO. Serif PagePlus, Ventura Publisher (at least older versions -- don't know about current), Quark, etc., all use a similar "look and feel" to page payout. The others may have added features which I generally don't need, and may run better on Vista (which I also don't need and like others, see no real reason for upgrading from XP... or Linux), but that's about it. The interface can't be improved on much, though there are some minor things that could be improved (the only thing that comes to mind is the scroll wheel on the mouse isn't supported -- that's the only thing that dates the software as far as features I actually use). InDesign apparently has "better" layout features, but it doesn't appear to be better for books and magazines. It definitely is for posters and other large format items, maybe even newspapers. I know some of the tools used in PM weren't there -- like the "build booklet" utility that comes in so handy and should be available in some form with any multi-page layout program (IMHO -- handles common impositioning).

I don't consider myself a professional DTPer, more of a "seasoned amateur". My layouts could be better, but are easily workable and pleasant enough for what I do. I've laid out 3-4 150-200 page books, 5-6 "half page" books (with two up double sided imposition), and many one and two page flyers of all sorts -- single full page, folded (sometimes stapled), and tri-fold. I've even done some work for pay, including a 60 page industrial supply catalog. I've been doing this since 1990, mostly in PageMaker. I tried other packages as I was getting ready to upgrade through the years, but none offered anything above and beyond that I was willing to pay more for. Serif PagePlus came close to winning out between PM5 and 6, but there were some hardware conflicts (with my particular combination of hardware) that the company couldn't help me resolve.

I'm working on Linux and Scribus now, mainly because Adobe abandoned PM and their current offerings are not upgrades in my opinion but "moves away from" (not even a lateral move!), and pricey ($199 for the "upgrade", $599 for full pacakage). Even at $200 other packages are worth considering, but not something like Quark, which is priced like the full InDesign package. I'm going to look at PageStream before I decide whether to keep Scribus or not, but that won't be for a while. I still need to get more comfortable with Linux and to give Scribus a workout. Maybe by Spring of 2009 I'll be through working Scribus over!

------------
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 22:39:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: jwminer at accessvt.com

On a final note, I'm amused at how PageMaker is mentioned so often
as if it's a current product. Hey--PageMaker became unsupported
years ago. It was great in its day, but that day passed long ago.
Quark became widely used before InDesign was created; InDesign has
been picking up a lot of the professional market share. Ventura was
an excellent program and while it's still alive theoretically, Corel
doesn't promote it at all and shows no signs of updating it. By all
means continue to use PageMaker if it meets your needs, but don't
talk of it as if it's a current professional option.
--Judy Miner

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"