[scribus] Scribus! (printing and DTP)

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Fri Aug 15 14:40:48 CEST 2008

I'm responding to the printing and imposition comments.

I print a quarterly magazine that never sees a traditional printer. Have been doing it for over 10 years this way! I have under 200 subscribers, so using a "traditional" printer would be expensive. That only becomes practical with large numbers -- say 1000 or so.

Many more DTP users use "print on demand" (POD) more than anything else. I wouldn't call a large magazine or newspaper "DTP users", though they use similar software and techniques. Mainly because they can and do use "traditional" printing techniques, though the software is sometimes the same as a DTP user. I've always viewed DTP as something a small run production company would use, with maybe occasional traditional printing, but more in-house or sent out POD work than anything else.

With digital "presses" anything is possible with DTP! Of course we know these "presses" are really not presses, but smart digital photo copiers. I'm sure almost all (if not all) short run printing is done on one of these, like the Xerox "DocuTech" series, rather than a traditional press even from traditional printers. It's not cost effective to make short runs on a press, even one of the small sheet fed presses that were popular before "digital presses" were common and affordable.

Imposition is usually done at the print shop for traditional printing. There's no real need for the DTPer to get involved. It does make things easier for the printer and could lead to a price break IF you've been in contact with the printer and know how to set the pages up correctly.

On a smaller scale, where digital printing is being used, it's necessary. I send all my print work out except for very small runs, such as I need a few back issues printed. That I do on my HP 2605dn laser printer. Double sided printing is a bit slow, but worth the $100 extra! I also make the master for a small book I publish that is half page size. That I impose myself and send to the printer, they just cut it in half and make two books from each printing.

All I do is send a PDF file to Office Depot, and they run it on their digital photo copiers. Not really a "printer", but the results are the same. I live in a rural area and the nearest OD is 20 miles away, so the free UPS shipping comes in handy. I wouldn't want them to impose anything! They have to have a ready to print file.

I use 8.5"x11" sheets stapled on the side for the magazine -- I can change page count in increments of two instead of four that way, and assembly is quicker/easier. I could make the magazine larger and folded like more traditional magazines  since their machines are capable of 11x17 printing, but that makes things harder for them and me. Sending the files on standard size paper allows the machine to do all the work -- stapling and hole punching (or they use hole punched paper -- makes it easy for subscribers to bind and save their copies, even if some do think it doesn't look "professional").

I would think that most DTPers, especially Scribus users, work in pretty much the same way. So some imposition, at least a simple "double sided two-up", is a necessity. I'd go so far as to say anything easily done on up to 11x17 paper would be necessary. Anything larger requires more traditional presses. Anything a user might have at home (with a very few exceptions) won't take larger paper, nor will most digital copiers.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"