[scribus] 2 up double sided

"Sveinn í Felli (IMAP)" sveinki at nett.is
Fri Aug 15 10:50:58 CEST 2008

Hi;
just a thought or two:

Mr. Beast wrote:
> Thanks everyone for all the help, links, and info. I was hoping I had
> just missed checking a box or something like that. I'm more of a user
> than a geek, so I will probably just end up imposing the pages by hand.

It's already been mentioned that imposition is most often a
part of the printing process, not the DTP. Most professional
printers I know of want to do it themselves, arguably
because they're in charge of final tuning of the machinery.
Still, for proofing and small volumes the DTP user may want
to do it on smaller printers.
That's where a good printer driver comes in handy.
Personally I loved the Corel8 driver interface which
permitted all kinds of manipulation on the output and
supported most printers known to mankind (that was
Win95-2000 - ehhmm, meaning last century). Normal "plain
vanilla" printer drivers usually only permit simple
operations like print order, even/odd pages, fit to page and
sometimes booklet printing.
Wether your OS is Linux, Mac or Win, don't assume that the
best driver for your printer is the one provided by the
manufacturer or the OS, a lot of digging/tweaking may be
necessary. On my Linux systems I use CUPS drivers most of
the time, but for really important proofs I use the
TurboPrint commercial solution.

> It's crude, but it is a level of technology I understand. The notion of
> downloading and running additional pieces of software on top of learning
> Scribus is just a little bit too scary right now.

Using Synaptic or Smart Package Managers can't be that
scary, at least compared to surfing all kinds of shareware
sites full of malware/adware junk. And you have regular
patches/updates from the repositories, if they're correctly
set up.

Once I am a little
> more comfortable with Scribus itself I will try downloading and running
> additional software to impose the pages. Thanks again for your time and
> help.
> Cheers,

I'm too looking forward to see the Scribus imposition plugin
in action, first drafts were really promising.

Best regards

Sveinn í Felli