[scribus] Scribus!

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Thu Aug 14 23:09:23 CEST 2008

On Aug 14, 2008, at 11:01 PM, Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

>> However, I am a bit confused about the concern about whether or not
>> print shops know anything about Scribus (or any other DTP software
>> for that matter).  I just assumed that anything I would want
>> printed would be provided to the print shop in PDF format. Is there
>> a reason for doing it any differently?
>>

> Admittedly I only ever print single page ads, but I have never
> mentioned my DTP software to any pritner and have only ever supplied
> PDF docs, and have never, so far, run into any questions or problems
> from the printer. Scribus' PDFs do seem pretty universally usable.
>
> I don't know that much about th eprinting industry, though. Is there a
> reason one would supply a Quark doc to a printer? I imagine it used to
> be done that way, in the mid '90s or so, before PDF became so
> universally accepted.

You might if they have an archaic workflow that relies upon Quark
actually being active in the process.

As for the previous comment regarding how imposition should be easy..
well, yes, it should, but imposition in the process of printing at a
commercial company is not something they often want you to be involved
with at all. Imposition software costs thousands of your favourite
kind of money per license usually, and its a very complex process.
There are still many companies that do not want colour managed
documents, dont accept PDFs and certainly dont want you involved in
imposition.

Craig