[scribus] Scribus!

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Aug 14 14:59:42 CEST 2008

I can easily agree with your first three points. But what makes you
think "Scribus is gaining significant market share."? The number of
downloads? That's people looking at, or "checking out", not necessarily
USING Scribus, and IS NOT a valid indicator of market share gain.
There's no way to tell how many people actually use Scribus, and I
suspect that most use it for a rare project and not as an every day or
on-going project (such as my quarterly magazine that's been published
for 11 years now using PM). Price and ease of use is why programs like
Serif's PagePlus and Microsoft's Publisher are popular (though I'd rate
P+ well above MSP in power/value/usability!). InDesign was cumbersome
and hard for me, a seasoned DTP user, to work with, and why I didn't
even consider it. I must admit being biased to/spoiled by the PageMaker
interface, but it seems a lot more intuitive and logical. Quark and
Scribus use a similar interface, shouldn't take long to learn Scribus.
If the software is hard to use though, it takes up too much of the
publisher's time. I need something I can easily and quickly work with! I
don't use a lot of fancy features, just basics really, so I expect
Scribus to be a viable alternative for my DTP needs. Will just take some
time to learn the differences in menus and commands. I've had the
opportunity to play with Quark a bit, and it's pretty much the same way
-- a comfortably familiar look and feel, but the commands and menu
structure are a bit different in some cases. Quark supposedly handles
large page formats, like newspapers, better than PM, PM supposedly
handles large page count books better than Quark. Ease of use is
essential -- that's my main point! The easier Scribus is to use, the
more popular it will be, and the more market share it has the potential
to capture. Market Share isn't really the correct term since it's OSS,
but I know what is meant. -------- Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 02:12:00 +0100
From: John Beardmore <John at T4sLtd.co.uk> Most people doing DTP are not
naive users. Most DTP software is expensive. (Overpriced ?) Scribus is
offering a real alternative. Scribus is gaining significant market
share. What more do or should we want ?

I suspect that many of the people to whom you wish to appeal aren't
using DTP at all. I'm not sure that scribus is for them, and I'm not
sure that it should be until they recognise the limitations of the
software they have already, and go looking for better tools.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"