[scribus] Initial impression, and help getting 1.3.3.12

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu Aug 14 08:57:39 CEST 2008

This is a very general Linux topic. Distributions contain both the os
and the application software, and to make a release of a distribution,
the maintainers have to decide on one release of each software, so that
they can test and support it. This is the reason why on any
distribution, you will not see the very latest releases.

There are three solutions. First, you may get binaries from the project.
Second, you may compile. Third, you can get "backported" binaries for
your distribution. E.g. for Debian Etch, as far as I know, supported is
1.3.6, but there is an unsupported 1.3.12 on backports.org.

I usually stay with the officially supported software, because that will
enable security updates, bug fixes and resolve dependencies. Still, for
key applications, I can install a small number of non-supported
software. E.g. on a DTP-machine I would always have the latest 1.3.3 now
and care for updates myself.

So if you do not want to compile, have a look at backports.

CU Lars.