[scribus] 2 up double sided

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 07:01:41 CEST 2008

--- On Wed, 8/13/08, Mr. Beast <mrbeast at shaw.ca> wrote:
From: Mr. Beast <mrbeast at shaw.ca>
Subject: [scribus] 2 up double sided
To: "scribus community" <scribus at lists.scribus.net>
Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 8:35 PM

Over the next week I have to produce a 12 page, 2 up, double sided
document (ie 3 sheets of paper printed both sides folded and stapled)
that includes both text and graphics in greyscale. I am looking for
information on how to lay that out in Scribus so that when I send the
pdf to the print shop it prints with all the pages in the correct order.
So far all I have is laying it out

page 1 page 12
page 2 page 11
page 3 page 10
page 4 page 9
page 5 page 8
page 6 page 7

Of course that is awkward to visualize what the finished product will
look like. Is there an easy way to lay it out the way you want it to
appear when it's printed and scribus automatically imposes the pages as
they should be for the print shop?

I look forward to learning more about Scribus and getting to know the
folks in this community.

Cheers,

There is a really easy way to do it in LINUX (and I think it can also be done in Windows, but I don't know how).  It was because of a request by someone who wanted to do exactly that (she said she had done it lots of times with Pagemaker) which caused me to search for an alternative, and found Scribus.

This is the way I do it now:

I create a document in Scribus for US Letter size paper (you can also do it for A4 if you are not in North America) with the pages in normal order. You then create a PDF file.  You then follow the instructions on this web site:
http://twopoint718.blogspot.com/2008/05/make-book.html

I have done a few booklets this way and they have worked out great.

I would say that it would be a very nice feature for Scribus if it could do this automatically (as I understand can be done with Pagemaker).

Murray

P.S. I am a real "Newbie" to Scribus and Desktop Publishing. I had never even heard of Scribus just two weeks ago and had never used any other DTP software before.  MS