[scribus] Long book project in Scribus on 64 Studio

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Tue Aug 12 21:46:50 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 11:31:01 Daniel James wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've long been a Scribus fan, using the program for short documents, of
> only a few pages. Many years ago I used to lay out books using Quark.
>
> Now I'm attempting to lay out a 300 page plus A5 book, all text and no
> pictures. I'm using Scribus 1.3.3.12svn in our 64 Studio 2.1 distro
> (Debian Etch based). I believe our 2.1 release was slightly before the
> final Scribus 1.3.3.12 release, hence the package version number.
>
> At the moment I'm up to about 90 pages, and navigation through the
> document is already quite slow, for example after clicking in a text
> frame. The page up and page down keys aren't always responsive either.
> I'm running the software on a dual Opteron 240 with 1GB RAM, so the
> hardware isn't particularly slow. Also, opening the document is very
> slow, taking a minute or two.

Unfortunately with the old text system we just cannot get more speed from it -
you would be better off with a 4Ghz machine than 2x2Ghz as it just needs more
cycles per second to process the code and be fast, and its not multithreaded.

1-4Gb RAM should do, depending on target document, ie, lots of pics, more
memory required. Fewer fonts, less memory.

A few of these things should be rectified in the coming developer releases.

Craig