[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 5, Issue 41

Pankaj Mittal pankaz at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 12 19:26:54 CEST 2008

----- Original Message ----- > ------------------------------

> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:50:07 +0200
> From: Pierre Marchand <capparis at free.fr>
> Subject: Re: [scribus] set TextFrame Distance in Scripter?
> To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
>
> Vous (Pankaj Mittal) avez ?crit?:
>> Hi Pierre
>> 1. As a scripter user, I expect api's to do whatever can be done visually
>> (manually).
>
> You are perfectly right.
>
>> Probably, scripter is not there yet which I understand.
>
> It seems, but:
> "To prioritize my work it would be very helpful if current scripter
> users could tell me which functions are mostly used and which
> additonal ones they would love to have."
> in _Re: [scribus] scripting functions_ - Henning

I sent for it to Henning.

> At least I see it coming closer than ever ;-)

Without setTextFrameDistance(), scripter is still very powerful ;)

>> 2. Now about my need of setTextFrameDistance(). I am trying to design
>> many
>> cards in which I need to use textFrame (with some corner radius and
>> background color). But the text starts sticks beside the borders. It does
>> not look good because there is no distance between text and borders of
>> textFrame.
>>
>> I guess we can use a bigger rectangle in the background with corner
>> radius
>> etc. but this increases the dependency on extra object just because one
>> api
>> is missing. I would rather prefer setTextFrameDistance().
>
> I understand & find it legitimate to act with scripter as you would do
> when
> working in non-automated mode. But from what you explain of your job and
> given my own experience, I would not try to get it all in once even if
> done
> by hand. And preferably i would do exactly such as you try to avoid!
> Separate
> background shape and text frame.

Yes, I will do the same to move on. Thanks for all the support Pierre.

>> I hope I was able to explain. Please let me know if I need to clarify
>> further. Thanks
>
> Crystal clear :)
>
>> ps: Is it allowed to send an attachment to List?
>
> I think so.
>

> --
> Pierre Marchand
>

> ------------------------------
>
>> I guess we can use a bigger rectangle in the background with corner
>> radius etc. but this increases the dependency on extra object just
>> because one api is missing. I would rather prefer setTextFrameDistance().
> For now, this does not exist. You can manually edit after the script
> runs. You could also do a search and replace on the SLA file. Look for
> the PAGEOBJECT variables EXTRA, TEXTRA, BEXTRA, and REXTRA for this
> left, top, bottom, and right distance, respectively. If the distance was
> the same all around, you could just search EXTRA to capture all of them.
>
> Greg

Well! I think it will be little too much for me go that far. I would stay
with an extra rectangle for now. Thanks for the suggestion Greg.