[scribus] Views of users

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Tue Aug 12 17:08:06 CEST 2008

From: "John Beardmore"

From: "Lars O. Grobe"
 I think there are simply different concepts of
> using (and getting) software. Those who want to "buy" a license
> with some phone hotline support for a specific time, in a
> specific budget, can live happily with different commercial
> solutions.
> So guys, just choose what you want. If you want to buy software
> in a colorful box, do so, and try to send the comments and
> complaints you post here easily to a commercial vendor - good
> luck on the phone hotline. If you want to use (and that means
> learn and combine) open source, feel free to ask, report bugs,
> give ideas.
>
> CU Lars.

John and Lars,

The factors are both easier to see and rather more complex than
you suggest. Time for learning is often a major factor for users.
It is one thing to be involved with major projects and/or regular
use, quite another to need a relatively easy to use solution
monthly or maybe less.

Some of us recognise the great advantages of scribus for control
and fitting the program to the need, but the learning curves are
steep and long - even if you come from familiarity with other DTP
solutions and have looked at Linux with a nervous eye. And I
include a soupçon of coding and scripting as I am sure do many
with a similar wish to move one way while on a road going
another.

In that sense John I think it is literally correct to say that
levels of knowledge are that low, but only in the specified
sphere of not choosing or seeking a specified solution.

Scribus appears to be a remarkable program for sorting out the
precise needs of a particular publication or document, but how
many truly need that level of sophistication? And it is more
related to that Lars, rather than pretty packaging, which sends
the 'society newsletter editor' to Word or Serif or OO. Not to
mention the author whose tome has engaged her or him for 18
months and simply wants a way to have a final script in a form
that prints intelligently, even if many self-publish that.

I would say that, while the appearance of scribus is moving the
right way it looks more intimidating than many other DPT
programs, and as discussed daily on this list still contains all
sorts of problems. There is too the incredibly important issue of
finding tutorial, instruction or answers online, let alone in
manual form.

If the aim is to produce an incredibly sophisticated and
adaptable DTP and print preparation program you have undoubtedly
been highly successful, and its continued advance is impressive.
But if you are asking why more people don't use it - especially
as it is free - then you need to understand why M$, Adobe, Serif
and a host of others are so successful in the 'expensive pretty
packet' market place.

And the answer is they make people think their products are easy
to use [sometimes they even are!].

Joseph Harris