[scribus] Copyright -- Free to copy license

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Tue Aug 12 11:06:03 CEST 2008

From: "Frank Swygert"

> Just because you have a copyright doesn't mean you can't let
> others use your work without charge. It does mean that you can
> dictate how and when it can be used. At least that's my
> interpretation.

Except for 'fair use' that is right. The reason for putting
copyright and any terms regarding free use or creative commons
and similar is to ensure that people understand the material is
not just free and even where free is so because the copyright
owner has made that decision. While it is important to be able to
chase any infringements that is not the sole purpose by a long
shot.

Most people will observe terms without needs any sticks, but they
do need to have the information easily available. For most
countries under Berne registering does not affect the court
rights of the copyright owner or licensee. Only in the US is
there this grudging nod to international agreement, which is a
continuation of some very odd rules of IP ownership.

Joseph Harris