[scribus] Copyright -- Free to copy license

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Mon Aug 11 23:14:26 CEST 2008

Insert the copyright notice, then the conditions that you will allow the document to be used without charge or prior notification. I've done that on a number of documents. Something like:

"Copyright 2008, FARNA Systems Publishing. This document may be freely posted or printed as long as the above copyright notice is published along with it and no changes are made. It must be published in it's entirety. If you'd like to publish in part or make changes contact the publisher first. If you believe there are errors please contact the publisher."

Just because you have a copyright doesn't mean you can't let others use your work without charge. It does mean that you can dictate how and when it can be used. At least that's my interpretation. I use the above mainly on tech data documents for old cars. A lot of people believe things that grand dad told them that just aren't true, especially about Rambler and AMC (no, they didn't buy all their parts from others and build a car, they did buy A FEW parts from other manufacturers though!).

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:54:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Murray Strome <wmstrome at yahoo.com>

If I produce a document, I would like the copyright to be such that people are free to copy and modify it, but to retain the credit for my part of the work. Initially, I thought that the GNU Free Documentation License (GFPL) would be a good choice. However, one condition makes it completely impractical, namely that you must : "...include a copy of the License in the document" and that it must be a verbatim copy.

This is completely impractical for short documents, and even for a 300 page book, I would not want to have to put in several pages, just for the sake of including a copy of the GFPL.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"