[scribus] "ml"

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Fri Aug 8 19:13:30 CEST 2008

Gregory Pittman wrote:
>> Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
>> > ml? What is "ml"?

>> ml no doubt means mailing list. I don't think comments like this
>> bother most of us. Like many FOSS projects, Scribus is a totally
>> voluntary operation, top to bottom. The mailing list is full of
>> people trying to get help, and help others, and since it's largely
>> unmoderated, there are some not so intelligent questions, and some
>> not so intelligent answers, but mostly I think we do what we can
>> to answer the questions as we understand them.

I've found Scribus to be quite stable.  I will admit that it is not
lightning fast on my work machine (1.8 GHz Celeron with 1GB RAM, WinXP).
At home, on a 2.4 GHz P4 with 1GB RAM (with both WinXP and CentOS 5)
it's noticeably faster.  In either case, however, it's certainly usable
and no slower than some other reasonably high-end software on these
oldish boxes.  I'm expecting some improvement with my new (home)
machine.  At the risk of being accused of throwing money at a problem,
this machine - Athlon 64 X2 5200, 2GB RAM, 250GB SATA drive - was $350
without monitor (which I don't need to replace).

I have mostly used the 1.3.3.x series and don't have any stability
issues with it.  I think it's a bit unfair to criticize the stability if
you are running the development version (as was done by someone a few
days back).  Yes, there are features lacking in 1.3.3.12 but many of
them have been addressed in 1.3.5 and like everyone else, I'm looking
forward to that version's stable release.  There are stability issues
with some builds of 1.3.5 but it's a development version and not
recommended for production use.  That being said, I've run 1.3.5svn from
07/17/2008 on WinXP for a couple weeks.  Although it's only been with
reasonably short (8 to 10 pages) documents with a dozen or so images I
haven't had any crashes.  Your mileage may vary, of course.

As for the mailing list, I've learned a lot simply by (mostly) lurking.
There are a lot of helpful people here.  If you're one of them, thank
you.

--
Henry