[scribus] "Master" Pages (was Re: New Linux User -- Scribus in place of PageMaker 6?)

avox avox at arcor.de
Fri Aug 8 18:15:09 CEST 2008

Thomas Bechtold wrote:

> ------------------------------
> From: "Christoph Sch?fer" <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>
>
> hjh at mail.fsub.de schrieb:
>
>> Then, beware of the term "master pages". It's misleading. (In German
>> "Musterseiten" - as well).
>
> No, it's absolutely correct, and it's wide-spread in the industry.
> InDesign
> and QuarkXPress use it as well, and I guess other DTP pograms do the same.
> The same goes for the German translation.
>
>> They are -not- templates.
>
> Exactly. We used to have the term "templates" in earlier versions, which
> caused a lot of confusion, so we changed it to the industry standard,
> which
> is "master pages"/"Musterseiten".
> ------------------------------
>
> It's possible that hjh was saying that since these master pages do not
> work
> like InDesign's or Quark's (or FrameMaker's) master pages, it would be
> better to change the term OR to make it very clear how these master pages
> are different from those in the other programs.
>
> An example of why that would be useful, at least for new users: I came to
> Scribus from InDesign and FrameMaker, read a bit of the documentation, and
> jumped in. After setting up text boxes on the master pages for about 4
> hours, I started applying the masters to my document. Lo! I could not
> enter
> text in the text boxes! I went back and read a bit deeper, specifically on
> master pages, and discovered that Scribus doesn't allow you to set up text
> boxes on master pages, but instead recommends you use the master pages to
> lay out guidelines and then set up the text boxes on the individual pages.
> This is different from the behavior of all of the other DTP software I
> have
> ever used, and is, perhaps, why hjh found it misleading.

I'd say we rather implement editing text frames on masterpages instead of
renaming
them again.
If you come from InDesign, have you used the options "override MP item" and
"detach MP item"
often? Should Scribus also offer that options?

/Andreas

P.S. please dont respond to digest messages if possible (I use
http://www.nabble.com/Scribus-New-f33922.html), and in any case delete the
quoted stuff you are not responding to!