[scribus] Scribus in place of Pagemaker?

Jeffrey Silverman jeffrey.d.silverman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 12:06:37 CEST 2008

Mint is built using Ubuntu as its "parent". Nearly every question you
have about Mint can be answered by the Ubuntu community. Mint is
compatible with all the Ubuntu software repositories. And ultimately,
Mint's "grandparent" is Debian.

Oh, and that "professional looking" thing is in part because they use
Gnome but more because they actually have a designer and MEPIS' Warren
does *NOT* have an eye for design.

Scribus is Qt based, meaning that it uses the same GUI toolkit as KDE.
So it does integrate a bit more smoothly into KDE.

One thing that is confusing to Windows and Mac users trying Linux is
the whole "desktop environment" thing. The "desktop" in Linux is
decoupled from the OS itself. Just because a Distro is "based" on
Gnome does not mean you can't install KDE. Also, just because a tool
is written using the KDE toolkit (Qt) does not mean that it won't work
in Gnome. It will. Meaning Scribus will work in Gnome or KDE. Or XFCE
or (INSERT WM HERE).

With Debian based distros, the package manager takes care of worrying
about whether an app you are installing will work in your current
desktop environment. It does this by making sure the right GUI
libraries are installed along with the package. (Actually, all
package-manager based distros do this.)

A great place to find out more about any one Linux distro is distrowatch.com.

Okay, now some recommendations that I'm sure some people will disagree with:

I wouldn't recommend CentOS for desktop use. Server? Definitely.

I wouldn't recommend Fedora for new Linux users. (This may have
changed, but I stopped using Fedora at FC3 because it had become to
much of a pain to set up and too full of lingering problems)

I wouldn't recommend SuSE or OpenSuSE unless you are German. (Sike.
That's just an inflammatory remark intended to get responses. Oh, yes,
call it "trolling" why don't you?)

Actually, I am most familiar with Red Hat-based distros (RHEL, Fedora,
CentOS, etc) and Debian-based (Ubuntu, Mint), but I have never used
SuSE.

If you *really* want to get your hands dirty, try Gentoo. And if you
really, really want to get them dirty, try Slackware. Neither is
recommended for new Linux users, though.