[scribus] Scribus in place of Pagemaker?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Aug 7 04:31:21 CEST 2008

Frank Swygert wrote:
> Thanks a lot Greg! Will try 1.3.3.12 as soon as I have a version of
> Linux up and running on a machine. Looking at MEPIS and Mint right
> now. Mint seems to be a bit more "prefessional looking". MEPIS
> defaults to KDE, Mint to Gnome. That's probably the difference I'm
> seeing, though there should be some design work unique to the distros
> as well.
> I'm assuming Scribus will work with either, or is there a preference?
> PageStream will work with either, but is more closely integrated with
> Gnome. I was told that there were mainly some GTK libraries that were
> required, and that PageStream would run fine under KDE if the
> libraries required for the GIMP were loaded. MEPIS comes with the
> GIMP, so should be ready for PageStream. Is Scribus the same -- works
> with either but a bit better with one or the other?
Unfortunately, I don't know so much about either. We have a number of
people using Debian and the *buntus, and Mint seems another Debian-based
distro (their site says that they use Ubuntu's repositories).
A lot of people are using OpenSUSE, I and some others Fedora 9, there is
at least one I know of using CentOS (RHEL-derived).
There are some potential issues with the *buntus that cause some
problems with Scribus. We like to warn people about this, yet at the
same time many are using it.
It's good to use one that has healthy, up-to-date repositories, so you
can easily get everything thing you need besides Scribus.

The advantage of using ones that others use is in getting help here on
the list and on the sites. Personally, I think I would suggest OpenSUSE,
Fedora, or Debian. Others may have other ideas.

Since both KDE and Scribus make use of Qt, they are a natural fit, but
even with Gnome you can get everything you need. I'm used to using KDE
and like the way the environment works in various ways. All distros come
with the GIMP as far as I know, thus you get all the gtk stuff.

Greg