[scribus] Scribus in place of Pagemaker?

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Aug 7 03:55:40 CEST 2008

Thanks a lot Greg! Will try 1.3.3.12 as soon as I have a version of Linux up and running on a machine. Looking at MEPIS and Mint right now. Mint seems to be a bit more "prefessional looking". MEPIS defaults to KDE, Mint to Gnome. That's probably the difference I'm seeing, though there should be some design work unique to the distros as well.

I'm assuming Scribus will work with either, or is there a preference? PageStream will work with either, but is more closely integrated with Gnome. I was told that there were mainly some GTK libraries that were required, and that PageStream would run fine under KDE if the libraries required for the GIMP were loaded. MEPIS comes with the GIMP, so should be ready for PageStream. Is Scribus the same -- works with either but a bit better with one or the other?

-----------
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 16:55:12 -0400
From: Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>

Frank Swygert wrote:

> > So what version of Scribus are you running?

To be specific, use 1.3.3.12 for now. Newer versions *always* can load
files from older versions. While there are some interesting new features
in 1.3.5, it still has a number of drawbacks on a practical level, and
once you save a file, you can't load it into 1.3.3.12 (there are
workarounds).

Do NOT use 1.3.4 -- this was a brief post-1.3.3.x and pre-qt4 version
that has had no bug fixes since it was released in May, 2007.
 Unfortunately, some distros put it in their repositories, and we can't
get them to take it out.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"