[scribus] New Linux User -- Scribus in place of Page Maker 6?

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 21:15:01 CEST 2008

Frank Swygert wrote:

> I'm new to Linux, but have some experience from long ago with OS-9, a
> unix-like OS for the Motorola 6809 8/16 bit processor (mainly 8 bit with
> a couple 16 bit registers, IIRC). I've got some experience with MS-DOs
> and of course Windows too. It's been so long since I used a command line
> that I really don't like it though!!
>
> Anyway, I'm currently trying to get MEPIS running. I can't seem to get a
> downloaded copy to load correctly. I've ordered the CD. I was thinking I
> have a bad batch of CDs, but I've burned other files on them with no
> problem, and the checksum for the MEPIS 7 download is correct.
>
> Anyway, back to the subject! I print a small "fanzine" quarterly and a
> few other booklets on occasion. I started saving everything in native
> PM6 files and as PDF files a couple years ago. What I really want to do
> is attempt to wean myself off of Windows XP, at least for my work
> computer. I realize I won't be able to edit the PM6 files, and I'm not
> worried about editing the saved PDFs -- those I just print as needed
> anyway.
>
> How stable and functional is Scribus?

IME, far more stable than either PM65 or InDesign 1.5

> Anyone here moved from PM to
> Scribus?

Yes.

> I tried PM7 and InDesign -- they both work vastly different
> than PM6. With that kind of learning curve I'd rather learn Linux and
> Scribus.

I use Scribus under XP.  It continues to be a good experience, and I'm
really looking forward to the stable 1.3.5.x.

> I've also been looking at PageStream 5, and may go with it due
> to maturity and support

It may be great -  I don't know I've never used it, or PM7 for that
matter. If I were you though, I'd ask yourself what pagestream has that
Scribus doesn't.

> (not that the list here isn't a good support
> structure).

Quite. I've never had support and community as good as this.

Adobe by contrast were generally utterly useless, even when I
encountered bugs that were show stopping for my projects.

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor