[scribus] New Linux User -- Scribus in place of Page, Maker 6?

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Tue Aug 5 23:56:30 CEST 2008

  I do not thing Scribus is very
stable AT ALL. Others may disagree. But I am used to having Scribus
crash on me ALL THE TIME. Scribus 1.2.X, 1.3.X and 1.4/1.5.  Maybe
this is less true on Windows or on other Linux distros. I have only
ever used Scribus on Ubuntu or one of its deriviatives (Mint).

-------------=================-----------------
I would disagree with the above statement.
If scribus crashes there are generally 2 reasons.

1 Its not installed correctly for the particular machine.
I had difficulties with certain versions of Scribus but since 1.3.10 have had no
problem at all with stability.

2 There is one or more faults in the computer.
Memory and/or video card problems will cause scribus to fail. I have had this.
It went away when the faults were addressed.

Neither of the above were the fault of Scribus and I've been using it for years.

Windows hides computer faults, I suffered this for years. Linux can reveal
faults and for that reason can be less palatable but for me is invaluable, Once
one gets accustomed to linux, returning to windows feels like going to jail

That said, it is incredibly useful. It is hard to use, but *primarily*
because DTPINWP[1]. If you are familiar with DTP workflow and
concepts, then Scribus is not so hard to learn.

This is vitally important. Desk Top Publishing DTP is a different concept to
word processing but once grasped it makes word processing a background tool.
Roger